Tuesday, July 21, 2009

IM

I'm kind of uneasy about this one for several reasons.

1. It requires that I download software onto my computer. If I understand my IT rules correctly, I am not supposed to do that with my workstation. I could probably do it from home without feeling like I am violating a policy.

2. Hasn't texting pretty much made this obsolete? There are several types of communication I understand:
a. I am very comfortable sending emails on my workstation to professional coworkers.
b. Realtime communication by telephone works quite well in a work setting.
c. Texting is a convenient way to send somebody a message when you are on the go, you are in a hurry, and you just need to communicate a pithy message quickly.

However, IMs seem to be, well, so 2000. Besides which I have never enjoyed chat mode. It seems to promote inane conversation at a snail's pace. I am not going to do this application on my work computer. I will see if I can remember to do it from home - but even then, who would I IM? Most of the folks I'd like to talk to, I can Facebook. Facebook also promotes complete thoughts spelled correctly in a cohesive manner. I am not a big fan of applications that promote bad literacy habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment