Monday, July 20, 2009

Ning, Ning, Ning went the bell...

I signed up for Ning today and sniffed around it a bit. It does remind me very much of MySpace, but it seems to be a lot cleaner; I think maybe the emphasis on shared interests and activities promotes a more civilized level of dialog. I made a Myspace page a couple of years ago just to learn how to do it, but I don't really like Myspace much. One of the things I like about Ning is that I don't have to create a detailed, involved page; I can just have an account and discuss things with others. I did sign up for one group - Work Literacy, which is exploring Web 2.0 with some additional emphasis on LinkedIn. I looked at other things as diverse as Walt Disney World, Sims 3, Dallas Cowboys Fans and even one group dedicated to mourning Michael Jackson. One frustration: I found a group for employees of my library system, but it was invitation only and I did not know the last name of the contact person.

Today I also checked my Google Reader and discovered how fast I could go through the daily headlines. It really is faster than Favorites. I think I may set up some of these things at home, too. I want to reserve my Web 2.0 work stuff for professional contacts only. (Hey, I may enjoy Sims 3 but I feel no need to have it intrude in my professional life, indeed, I'd rather set aside the distraction.)

No comments:

Post a Comment