Monday, August 10, 2009

Developing 23 things

Well, I see how close I am to being done, and I feel a bit frustrated because I am not sure it will be professionally feasible for me to make the August 15 deadline; I can't IM and I am not willing to do podcasts at the reference desk. Too loud. So I guess I'll have to try to do these on my own time, like libworm.

On to the next question: how might I develop the 23 things in my own library?
There are a number of things I could see doing if we had the resources and legal permission.

- We can use Flickr to keep photos of library events.
- We can teach public classes on how to make mashups and image generators. Teens might find it quite fun. We could even have contests. It might be something we could teach other youth services librarians at a staff meeting and turn into a system-wide competition.
- I think the potential for turning GoogleDocs into a program for both teenagers and adults is extremely good. I see this being a potential required job skill in the foreseeable future.
- I took a workshop on digitial storytelling a year ago, and I see that dovetail into the use of youtube to create an interesting literacy event for older kids. This could end up using several of our things. How would it be if we had the kids register for bubbleshare, or Joggle? Then we had them open up a Flickr account. They go off on their own with their little cell phones and digital cameras and come back with photos for their Flickr account, and then create a story based on the pictures. Some of the pictures might include mashups, lolz, and other manipulated images. They create the videos, and upload them onto youtube. We then publish the results on our library blog.

The possiblities are endless - but unfortunately, the resources are not. It might be hard to reserve that many computers for so long anywhere but at the Intel computer center at Central Library. Maybe I will try it on my own kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment