Monday, August 10, 2009

Youtube

Wow. You mean there are still folks out there who don't know how to use Youtube? Blink. Maybe I'm not as old as I thought. I've been a user of Youtube for years, although I've only made one video and uploaded it in my entire life. I made a little presentation using a song, pictures, a digital storytelling software - can't remember which one - and the text from a poem. It was very labor intensive and I wasn't all that pleased with the resolution of the result, but at least I tried something new.

I go to youtube to preview music all the time. However, for this exercise I put in the search term "public library" and was suddenly hit with the uncomfortable spectacle of a public rally in Cincinnati. "Save our libraries!" Apparently budget crunches are wrecking havoc across our profession all over the country. In more pleasant news, Allen County had a video contest and Seattle Public Library put their library tour on Youtube. There was even a video touting their new RFID book sorting system. Under the search term "Library Events" I found several videos on hosting gaming events for teens.

I am seeing several functions in youtube use for libraries. Youtube can be used as an advertising method; I can see how a young person looking up Guitar Hero might see a video about the gaming at his local library under "related videos." Ohio has evidently attempted to use it as a means to raise public support for their library system. It is also a means to publish instruction to and from library professionals; as I recall, this entire workshop began with a video from Stephen Abram. How effective is it?

With so much white noise and tripe on youtube... I don't know. I certainly think it is likely we are not using it as effectively as we could. This, however, is totally adorable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgrQ4NNoq6M&feature=related

A Salute to librarians!

Also, I just noticed that ALA has put out an interesting channel. I might look at that a bit more.

1 comment:

  1. YouTube is a video sharing service where users can watch, like, share, comment and upload their own videos. The video service can be accessed on PCs, laptops, tablets and via mobile phones.Please share how to upload videos on You tube.

    Printable Calendar 2019

    ReplyDelete